These quick and easy snack bars are based on a recipe from my mum’s well used Australian Women’s Weekly ‘Beautiful Biscuits’ recipe book. I and probably many other Australian kids grew up in the 80s with the Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook recipes (not to mention the Children’s Birthday recipe book). I desperately wanted the Train Cake at my next birthday party – it never happened :(.
I now giggle at the dagginess of the food styling but at the same time smile at the memories of the recipes my mum used to bake.
We have halved the original butter amount and substituted coconut oil instead. Feel free to try your own variation.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup cornflakes
1 cup sultanas
½ wholemeal self-raising flour
½ cup raw sugar
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons Chia seed
75g coconut oil
2 tablespoons honey
1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Melt butter and coconut oil together, then add honey.
3. Poor wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix until it clings together.
4. Press evenly into a greased 28cm x 18cm tin (final thickness is about 3 cm).
5. Bake at 170C for 15-20 minutes or until top goes golden.
6. Cut into rectangles a few minutes after removing from the oven, remove bars from tin when cold.